Friday 20 August 2010

Another week; another month nearly at an end........

Having put last week's Blog to bed, read the forthcoming General Council papers and put in a little work for next week's club visits, this weekend provided some very welcome relaxation, with a couple of days spent taking in the fresh air and beauty of our countryside and coastline. We walked part of the South West Coast path from Coleton Camp and across Scabbacombe Head, and were blessed with excellent weather. The following day, still taking advantage ot the good weather, we attacked the area west of Plymouth including Rame Head.
On Tuesday morning it was necessary to get up at the crack of dawn---do you realise it was still dark? This must be service above self! I was making a visit to Exeter Southenhay for breakfast where they made me very welcome. It was a lively meeting in a very pleasant venue, and I much enjoyed my time spent with the members.

Tuesday evening saw us at the home and business of one of my own club members, where we were running children's entertainment, a disco and barbecue for the residents on his touring caravan site. Fortuitously, the weather held after a very worryingly wet morning! This is something we usually do three times during the summer, weather permitting, and proves to be not only a good fundraiser but also an excellent fellowship evening for the members.
On Wednesday I made my way to Sidmouth for lunch. Unfortunately the weather wasn't of the best to visit this very desirable place, which was very much a favourite spot for my late mother and her sister. I spent many a happy time taking my elderly aunt to Sidmouth in her later years, as it was the place she almost invariably chose if I was taking her out for the day.

The inclemency of the day was very much made up for by the hospitality and charm of the members of the Sidmouth club who made me very welcome, even to the extent of arranging for someone to park my car for me! I had a superb lunch and they made me feel very spoilt. Make a note: must go there again soon!

On Wednesday evening I paid a visit to Babbacombe and St Marychurch. This was obviously the day for Rotary gallantry because President, Charles also made a great fuss of me, and I much enjoyed our discussions during supper. This is another club that this District can be very proud of, and one which has really turned round in the last few years. They have a number of excellent major local projects on the go, and are actively and very successfully recruiting younger Rotarians.

For those of you looking to improve your club websites I would suggest you have a look what Babbacombe have done with theirs. It is excellent and very welcoming.

On Thursday I was up at the crack of dawn again, this time to visit Exeter Enterprise. Two breakfast meetings in a week, with a fair amount of driving involved certainly take their toll! They are an amazingly lively bunch for that time in the morning, and I can certainly recommend their excellent breakfast. There was a real buzz of conversation in the room and they are obviously a very vibrant club who will easily attract younger members.

Following the meeting to Enterprise I went over to Buckfastleigh for an editorial meeting of the magazine, where I spent a very stimulating hands on six and a half hours helping with the compilation of the next District Magazine. We really are working very hard to get this right and make it, not only something that this District and its members can be proud of, but also a good PR and marketing tool for us to use, particularly in our membership recruitment.

Here I am on Friday; shortly I have a mini Conference Meeting with Conference Manager David and Jan Lewis who will be looking after registrations.

Friday is usually the day when I update the blog and make the initial preparations for the following week. It is slightly different today because I have to prepare for a two day General Council Meeting at Alcester which starts on Sunday and is preceded, this time, by a meeting with our Thanks for Life coordinators. I guess it will be a busy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment