Saturday 11 September 2010

Back in Harness; Week beginning 6 Sepember......







Well, here I am back in harness after a week's rest and relaxation in the Italian Alps. I use the word 'rest' loosely because I seem to have done a tremendous amount of walking, and even managed a 62 kilometer bicycle ride one day. Something of which, I have to confess to being quite proud at my time of life, because I really didn't think I could still do it! So, lots of exercise and plenty of time cuddling Les's gorgeous 12 week old baby granddaughter, Ingrid should have put me back on track!


On Monday I made two 'A' Visits. The first, at lunchtime to RC of Kingsbridge accompanied by their AG Peter. We were, as always, made most welcome, and if it hadn't been for the torrential rain, which was coming down in stair rods, it would have been a very pleasant diversion.


On Monday evening I made my way to Exmouth to visit Exmouth Rayleigh. There was time for a good chat with members before the meeting, and it was wonderful to see how seriously they are taking the new membership campaign on board, and how hard they are working towards its success.

On Tuesday, after a very long appointment with a speech therapist who is endeavouring to put some strength back into my newly acquired croaky voice, I spent my time in several small meetings, before curling up in a chair and taking a break during the evening.

Wednesday saw the sun shining again. This was very pleasing because I was due to visit RC of Salcombe for lunch. It is such a beautiful spot, particularly when the sun shines and I always enjoy my visits there. It may be a small club but it has a very big heart, and they are very good at making visitors feel welcome. Perhaps because they have so many! It you're looking for something pleasant to do on a sunny Wednesday lunchtime, where better than the Salcombe Club for lunch at The Salcombe Yacht Club overlooking the estuary.

On Wednesday evening I went along, again with AG Peter, to visit RC of Ivybridge who were holding a Membership Interest meeting at the new Watermark Centre. It was a very well thought out and well structured evening for which my sincere congratulations go to the club, and I am sure that we will see a surge in their numbers in the near future as a result. Many congratulations to Olly and his team.

On Thursday we were again blessed with a sunny day, and again I was able to be in another of Devon's beautiful and interesting places, as I took lunch with RC of Dartmouth at the Royal Castle Hotel overlooking the river. Dartmouth is a lively and vibrant club, and demonstrates how well a lunchtime Rotary Club can flourish in the right environment.

Friday saw me getting down to some paperwork and other pressing chores. I must make a note not to take another break too soon, as I am still trying to get to the bottom of the hundreds of emails that awaited me on my return home! I also spent several hours with the Distinct Magazine. Hopefully, by Monday I should be prepared for another week!

No comments:

Post a Comment