Sunday 19 September 2010

The shades of autumn have arrived..........


Another weekend; they come around so quickly, and time to update the blog again. I am beginning to feel that it must be getting very repetitive for those of you who are reading this, but I'm told that it's the modern way, so here goes.

I spent most of Monday dealing with matters Rotary. I am sure Club Rotarians would be amazed how much goes on behind the scenes. Generally, you only see what is happening in your own club, and not always all of that, but when that's multiplied by 48 and you add to it RI, RIBI and District paperwork, it's amazing how much time it takes.

In the evening I attended my own club meeting. That is always a relaxation for me, as I can sit back, be myself and enjoy the proceedings as just an ordinary member of the club.

On Tuesday I visited Kingsbridge Estuary. Why is it always wet when I visit Kingsbridge? It was a particularly nasty evening, and as I drove through the low cloud in daylight, I pondered that it would be an even worse journey when it was dark on the way home! Stupidly, although I knew that the venue was The Seven Stars, I hadn't set my sat nav because I thought I knew where it was. I was, of course, quite wrong and had to stop to ask the way. The club had needed to change their venue since my last visit. When I arrived, I found that the car park was completely full, so had to make my way back to the Quay car park. Then umbrella in hand, and hoping that I wouldn't do an impression of Mary Poppins because of the wind, I traipsed across to the Seven Stars where there was, as usual, a warm welcome waiting for me from President David and his members.

On Wednesday, I again spent several hours with the District Magazine before pulling my papers together and heading off to a District Foundation Committee Meeting in Exeter. This committee, under the very able leadership of Frank Hart Venn, takes on all the complexities that surround the management of our very own charity in this District. They are a hard working team, each with their own speciality, and pull together the funding for the educational and humanitarian projects of The Rotary Foundation in which we participate.

A significant improvement in the weather, saw me making my way back to the seaside for lunch with Paignton on Thursday. I was back on home territory here with a member of the Bay Club Group, and a familiar club and venue. I was early enough to enable a good chin wag with some of the members before lunch, and it was a lively meeting with a couple of visiting Rotarians from District 1060 whose conference I will be attending at the Riviera Centre at the end of October.

Following a very moving presentation to my own club, Totnes by the local charity Lifeworks, the club members agree that they wished to provide some kind of support for them. It was arranged that the members would support their 'Breaking the Barrier' surfing day at Bigbury on Sea on Saturday by providing the barbecue, and I was delighted to be able to give my support.

The sun shone, a band played, the children made sandcastles and played football and there was traditional Punch and Judy. It was a perfect beach party and a joy to see the smiles of the faces of these young people.

Lifeworks aims to tackle exclusion, disadvantage and inequality as it concerns children and young adults with learning difficulties. It is the collective name for all the services and facilities of The Bidwell Brook Foundation.

Breaking the Barrier is a day of free surfing sessions for learning disabled children between the ages of 8 and 25 as an introduction to the experience of surfing. The event consists of individual sessions for the young person with one to one instruction from a qualified coach who has knowledge of additional needs, a personal support assistant in the water and full support for first aid and lifeguarding. There is also be group introductory lessons for a parent/carer or sibling to enable them to support and participate with the young person in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment